4/20/10

It's been a while...

Honesty is the best policy. Right? Right.

So honesty with yourself should be the bestest policy. Right? Right.

Easier said than done.

Looking in a life mirror for too long made me realize I should stop looking in a life mirror and look in a life window.

See, there are a few problems with a mirror. The past lies behind, but looking at it constantly, all reflect-y and stuff doesn't do anything but form weird regrets. Knowing your past is way different than sitting in a pile of it.

Looking in a mirror really does help you focus, but on the wrong person. I mean, I am not saying don't take a few mirror pitstops along your path. Everyone needs to pause at different times in their life and take a breather. Take a soul searcher. Take a step outside themselves to see who they are, or where they are even headed. But just standing in front of a mirror causes this lovely little disease we all share called selfishness. This trip to selfish-town, that I have taken many a time, takes a new and interesting form where, in attempts to de-flaw your flaws...you end up spending way to much time focusing on you. (there were even way to many "you's" in that sentence...). Been there. Done that. Don't visit that town it wasn't any fun.

Mirrors block what could be. They block the possibility of what God might be showing you. See, God never runs out of patience while He is waiting for us to peek around that mirror and see the beautiful-ness that is His leading. The wonderful-ness that is His ability to fix and flourish the flaws. But we can't see that if we are just standing in front of our sad boring mirror forever. All we get to do is stare at the opportunities that passed us, like a rearview mirror, and then regret it. Lame.

I know I don't want to be a mirror-loving regretter anymore. I'll take a few pitstops now and then, but I think its safe to say I know enough of who I am and enough of who God is, that it is time for me to do some remodeling. Mirror=shattered. Window=open and breezy...

1 comment:

Followers